The Department of Biological Chemistry is a fundamental department of the medical-biological cycle, located in the building on Melnykova 12.
The department was organized in 1938 on the initiative of the Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor A.M. Utevsky.
There are now 11 teachers working at the department, one of whom is a doctor of science – AL. There are 10 candidates of science, including 8 associate professors and 2 assistants. Three senior laboratory assistants are involved in the preparation of the educational process.
At the Department of Biological Chemistry for students of 2-4 courses are taught in the licensed areas and specialties a number of disciplines:
– “Clinical Biochemistry”,
– “Functional Biochemistry”,
– “General Biochemistry and Molecular Biology”,
– “General Biochemistry”.
The Student Science Society attracts about 30 students each year for biochemical and pharmacological research at the department.
Research work occupies one of the leading positions in the activity of the department, the main directions of which currently include:
– biological activity and some mechanisms of action of synthetic and natural compounds as potential drugs;
– study of acute and chronic toxicity of biologically active substances of natural origin;
– study of biochemical mechanisms of development of pathologies accompanied by dyslipidemic conditions (stress, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, atherosclerosis) and search for ways of their correction;
– development of biochemical criteria for evaluation of biological activity of drugs.
“Biological Chemistry” is included in the list of disciplines that are presented for the examination of the integrated examination “KROK-1. Pharmacy”